Skip to main content

Goal (1) - To Celebrate Female Maturity

Goal (1)  - To Celebrate Female Maturity 

Write what you want to read, they say. I wanted to write a story with an older single female as the protagonist. Because I'm an older female and I don't often identify with non-female or much younger characters. It's a case of "been there" and "don't care to live there again." I wanted it to be contemporary, 21st century. To include some of the things which are the same and the things which are different from female characters of fifty or twenty-five years ago. Women not in the traditional care-giver roles, without the responsibility of looking after children or a husband or aging parents.

Older women still tend to become somewhat invisible. This can be both a positive and a negative. We can live "under the radar" and revel in our own options and choices. We pride ourselves on being financially self-sufficient. We continue to enjoy a rewarding career for as long as possible. We rely on a network of friends. We enjoy our homes, creativity, travel. Yet we still have challenges. There are still, every day, new things to learn and decisions to be made. 


Who would be an older female role model? How great it is that there is such a wealth of choices. Queen Elizabeth. Maya Angelou. Georgia O'Keeffe.



“I get out my work and have a show for myself before I have it publicly. I make up my own mind about it — how good or bad or indifferent it is. After that the critics can write what they please.” (Georgia O’Keeffe)


Photos unattributed on Pinterest. The spinning wheel is an Irish postcard. The portrait of Georgia O'Keeffe is from a shoot by John Loengard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wynn

Wynn

Style (1)

Style (1) They used to say (my old profs) that there are two types of literature, and thus, two types of writer. The Classicists and the Romantics. The Classicists are interested in the style, the "how" of telling the story, the little tricks the creator uses to hook his audience and keep them reading or listening. Too many little tricks turn into purple patches, which is a bad thing. (A purple patch is a section of the telling which interrupts/stops the reader by attracting them to the words and the way they are put together, thus pulling us out of our suspended disbelief in the created story.) The Romantics are more interested in what happens to the characters, in the emotional and physical conflicts with which we readers identify and care about the created beings. I probably don't have to tell you that I've always leaned towards the Romantic side (positivity, emotion, nature, spirit). Towards more flesh than flash. Not to be dazzled by the teller's tric...

The Fire Within 2