Skip to main content

The Fire Within

The Fire Within

One of my private passion pastimes is photography. I love the word origin--writing with light. I used to think that I was always trying to "capture the light." As if it is prey and I am the hunter. Or the quester. As if the light is magic. 

For me, the most obvious hiding place for light (and its brokenness, colour) is in flowers. There is a reason why I was called the "Flower Girl" in my family. Not only because I got to be in Auntie Olive's wedding party. Not only because I always brought bouquets into the house--buds, greenery, blossoms. I just love them. But I also see these "hot flower pics" as connected to the "embers" theme, because for sure, is not the fire here too, seeping out of the light at the flowers' cores? 

I heard that fire hidden in the seemingly cold cinders once described as "the mothering fire" and that is another subtext in this novel. Mothering. Kindling. Warmth. Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire Within 2

Writer - J.M. Bridgeman

Writer Bio: J.M. Bridgeman When I hand a copy of EMBERS to anyone who knows me, I have to resist the urge to insist: This is not about me, and you’re not in it. It is not exactly that age-old writer’s dilemma of having to wait until enough people die to be able to publish. It is more like the writer’s quest for that ideal reader, sophisticated enough to allow that imagination and creativity are the source of material which, hopefully, feels real, as if the writer actually experienced it all herself. As far as I’m concerned, the only “real” things in this story EMBER S are the places. And that itself is a clue, because for me, place, our attachment to place, is one of the most important aspects of our life here on Earth. So, here’s the short fast version of my life and you can see and judge for yourself what the intersections / crossroads are, where the story comes from. I was born in Rivers. I have always and still do love the sound of that. Born in rivers. Rivers is ...

Style (2)

Style (2)   “Write like you talk” is one of my favourite writing tenets. And EMBERS opens with the protagonist, Wyn McBride, talking to herself. While driving. While negotiating a flagperson stopping her on the highway. Start and stop. Jerk. Jerk. Free association, with words, sounds, songs, and sights, as the sound echoes the sense . Although setting is primary, I do see EMBERS as a novel of character . The plot and the conflict centre upon character revelation and character development. I was also attempting to experiment a bit with point of view ( POV ). Variety of POV is one of the ways we learn more about the main character—what others say about her. For most chapters, Wyn is centre stage as narrator. Sometimes as unreliable narrator, because she is not always conscious of why she makes choices she makes. Most chapters are conversations—with Sylvain, with Lu, with Liam. Doll does dramatic monologues, which tells you something important about Doll. Some of Wyn’s Ir...