Skip to main content

EMBERS - The Process

EMBERS - The Process




A self-published novel by j.m. bridgeman, EMBERS is the story of a few days in the life of Wyn McBride, a mature female artist who loves her career, her friends, her home, homes, in British Columbia, Canada. An opportunity to visit Ireland for the first time changes Wyn forever.

In this blog, EMBERSjmb.blogspot.ca/ I relive and share the process of writing the novel.


EMBERS took me about three years to write. I started it shortly after my return from my third visit to England, Scotland, and Ireland in 2013. I finished a fast first draft around the time of Seamus Heaney's death in 2013 and the final revision the month Leonard Cohen died in 2016. Somehow these two losses seemed to spur me to polish and to launch. Both poets speak to me about the importance of place, identity, and being fully human. I also heard the words of an old favourite, D.H. Lawrence, who insists that "you can put anything you want into a novel." And the silent encouragement of the Canadian mother of writers, Margaret Laurence, to "just do it."


Of course, we "do it" because writing gives us pleasure. It is only later that we consider whether it is possible our writing may give others pleasure as well. Dom Spiro Spero. While I breathe, I hope. 


I went looking for inspirational quotations about the writing process. I found some I like, but not yet the definitive. The quest continues. In the meantime:


"Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else." Gloria Steinem


 “Let the world burn through you. Throw the prism light, white hot, on paper.”
Ray Bradbury


“Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.”
Ray Bradbury


"Writing has laws of perspective, of light and shade just as painting does, or music. If you are born knowing them, fine. If not, learn them. Then rearrange the rules to suit yourself."
Truman Capote


"If it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts." Leo Tolstoy, as cited in Common Ground

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire Within 2

Writer - J.M. Bridgeman

Writer Bio: J.M. Bridgeman When I hand a copy of EMBERS to anyone who knows me, I have to resist the urge to insist: This is not about me, and you’re not in it. It is not exactly that age-old writer’s dilemma of having to wait until enough people die to be able to publish. It is more like the writer’s quest for that ideal reader, sophisticated enough to allow that imagination and creativity are the source of material which, hopefully, feels real, as if the writer actually experienced it all herself. As far as I’m concerned, the only “real” things in this story EMBER S are the places. And that itself is a clue, because for me, place, our attachment to place, is one of the most important aspects of our life here on Earth. So, here’s the short fast version of my life and you can see and judge for yourself what the intersections / crossroads are, where the story comes from. I was born in Rivers. I have always and still do love the sound of that. Born in rivers. Rivers is ...

Style (2)

Style (2)   “Write like you talk” is one of my favourite writing tenets. And EMBERS opens with the protagonist, Wyn McBride, talking to herself. While driving. While negotiating a flagperson stopping her on the highway. Start and stop. Jerk. Jerk. Free association, with words, sounds, songs, and sights, as the sound echoes the sense . Although setting is primary, I do see EMBERS as a novel of character . The plot and the conflict centre upon character revelation and character development. I was also attempting to experiment a bit with point of view ( POV ). Variety of POV is one of the ways we learn more about the main character—what others say about her. For most chapters, Wyn is centre stage as narrator. Sometimes as unreliable narrator, because she is not always conscious of why she makes choices she makes. Most chapters are conversations—with Sylvain, with Lu, with Liam. Doll does dramatic monologues, which tells you something important about Doll. Some of Wyn’s Ir...